Directors’ Fiduciary Duty
Being a director of a condominium corporation is not a trivial responsibility. The following articles touch on this important issue.
- Condominium director and author, Marilyn Lincoln writes a regular column for the National Post called Condo Culture. Her April 18, 2014 column deals with a board’s fiduciary duty under the Condominium Act.
- The Waterloo area condo law firm of Clifton Kok LLP provides this discussion of a board’s obligations and responsibilities.
- Gardiner Miller Arnold LLP’s article entitled Directors’ Powers, Duties & Standard of Care covers the same issue.
- The same law firm’s March 18, 2009 blog, The Ontario Condo Law Blog, cites a 2008 Supreme Court of Canada decision that has important lessons for condominium directors. See the article entitled The Supreme Court on directors’ fiduciary duty.
- In the Summer 2007 issue of their Let’s Talk Condo… newsletter, Miller Thomson’s Warren Kleiner discusses the duties of directors in an article entitled Condominium Governance.
- For a brief American perspective on the same issue read Fiduciary Duties of the Board: A FIELD GUIDE FOR BOARD MEMBERS.